Friday, June 26, 2015

The Studio Build Update: It Is Finished

Well, it was supposed to take me about two weeks.  It ended up taking over two months.  It turns out that it's a lot slower doing something on your own.

Without a doubt, as you would surmise, bringing everything in to the new room was both the best and worst part of the experience.  I had forgotten just how much models don't like to be moved; they also don't like 2 year-old boys, either.  While moving everything over, I had some models on the floor, where my son discovered them.  I thus had a re-modelling project on the table soon afterward.  Star Wars models, it turns out, are pretty doggone fragile!  Stupid podracer!

Anyways, once things settled down, I was able to look at things and realize that SOMEHOW, SOME WAY, I had been able to do this.  After a few years of pondering, I was able to pop it out in a few months of sporadic work, during a rough time with my crummy job, during all kinds of personal obstacles that all seemed to magically appear the moment I began to try to do this.  So I guess in the end the moral of the story is, "If something must be done, then no matter what, DO IT."

So here are some pics, along with some captions to explain the madness!
Here's the view of the "clean side" of the room, where my drawing and reading stuff (along with a plethora of plastic models) resides.  This image is more honest about the lighting in the room than the next pic.  I really lucked out with how the black book cases all perfectly fit within the wall/corner to give a library effect.  I'm still debating whether or not to swap the Star Wars and Star Trek the Motion Picture posters so that it's next to the original crew poster above my drawing table.  I left the floor in its original rough state, to encourage me to do whatever I wanted to without being concerned about "Oops I just spilled (insert liquid name here) all over the carpet/tile/linoleum!."

Because of the shop light above my modelling station, this pic makes it look like the whole room is in a dank inner city basement of an abandoned building.  Nevertheless, this is the "dirty side" of the room, where I'll work on models and paint.  And finally I am able to hang my 1979 Comic Art Convention poster with the neat Curt Swan Superman drawing.

And finally, I can have my "Ships of the Fleet," all parallel parked above my drawing table.  There are 5 Enterprises, a Reliant, a few Klingon cruisers and Bird of Prey, and a Vulcan shuttle.
The corner above my door, my hornet's nest of Star Wars models.  Most of these models were built in the early era of my model building.  As I looked closely at them, I realized how poor they looked.  It's good that they're high up, away from close examination.  Check out C-3PO and his look of alarm.

A plastic monster rally, with a touch of Superfriends, Star Trek, and Star Wars.  You know, all of the good things in life.  I really like how Kirk, Bones, and Spock are placed right beneath the TOS Enterprise, as if it's a character with them, looking in the same direction as they are.

By some miracle, I was able to fit all of this ju- um, I mean stuff into this bookcase.  From my very early King Kong customization to my Cylon Raider salvage job, it's all here, all mashed in.  Even the Ymir is back out and about.

My modeller's corner, where all of the "mad scientist" stuff can go down, under the watchful scanners of Klingon battlecruisers overhead.  I was glad to find a spot for a.) my cutout Yoda, and b.) my Batman/Superman face cutouts.  That Batman poster is pretty cool, huh?  It features images from the old '60s Batman bubblegum cards.  Also, thank goodness, I was able to hang up my Garcia-Lopez Superman door poster, which I've had since high school.  Old and fragile, it still is awesome and goes with me to every new place.

Lastly, I finally have a sane place to paint.  I was able to use the top drawer as a designated pallete, where I'll keep my glass sheet and knives.  It's just the right height for me (and right next to my old school boombox, which is about to die at any minute).
So now you have a sense of geography of the room, henceforth known as the Fortress of Solitude West Coast Part III.  Let the madness begin!  Lots of things are planned for the year ahead, so drop on by every now and then to see what craziness Jeff has gotten himself into!

No comments:

Post a Comment